Iran condemns attack on civilians amid Azerbaijan-Armenia war

2020-10-14 12:12:22

Iran’s ambassador to Baku has lamented the violation of a truce agreement reached between Armenia and Azerbaijan to establish a ceasefire in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, highlighting Tehran’s growing concern about the escalating conflict.

In a post on his Twitter page on Monday, Abbas Mousavi said Iran regrets "the Azerbaijan-Armenia ceasefire" violation and condemns "the attack on civilians, residential places."

He added that Tehran is ready to facilitate talks between the two neighboring countries involved in the conflict.

The Iranian diplomat’s tweet came two days after the agreement brokered during marathon Moscow-mediated talks between Yerevan and Baku fell apart as fresh fighting has been reported between Azerbaijan and Armenian-backed forces in and around the disputed South Caucasus region of Nagorno-Karabakh, with both sides accusing each other of violating "the humanitarian ceasefire."

The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said Armenian forces were not complying with the Russia-brokered ceasefire that came into force on Saturday after two weeks of fighting.

The talks were the first diplomatic contact between the two former Soviet republics since the recent fighting over the mountainous enclave broke out late in September.

About 500 people have been reported killed since then.

Earlier on Monday, Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh invited the sides involved in the conflict to respect the truce.

He urged the two sides to “exercise more restraint.” He condemned rocket attacks against vital infrastructure and residential areas as well as the killing of civilians, and condoled with the survivors.

Iran has already warned the warring sides against border incursions, saying the security of its cities and villages is a top priority for the country. The warning came after a number of stray mortars from the Karabakh conflict struck Iranian villages along the border.

Iran’s Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami once again warned the warring parties involved in military clashes on Tuesday that Tehran will take stronger measures than warnings if the shells fired in the fighting continue to hit the country’s border regions even by mistake.

002

Comments(0)
Success!
Error! Error occured!