Iran condemns brutal attack on Nigerian farmers by Boko Haram
The Iranian government has strongly condemned the recent brutal attack on Nigerian farmers by the Boko Haram group, which caused the death of 110 people.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesmanSaeed Khatibzadeh expressed his sympathy with the survivors of the tragic attack, people, and government of Nigeria.
At least 110 people were killed last week in an attack on a village in north-east Nigeria blamed on the Boko Haram group, according to the UN humanitarian coordinator in the country.
“At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,” Edward Kallon said in a statement after initial tolls indicated 43 and then at least 70 dead from the massacre on Saturday by suspected Boko Haram fighters.
“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year,” Kallon said, adding, “I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice.”
Local sources stated that the massacre took place last Saturday as the farmers were busy working in rice fields in the village of Kwashebe, near Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari expressed his condolences to the victims’ families and decried the attack, stating, "The entire country has been wounded by these senseless killings."
Last month, Boko Haram terrorists killed at least 22 farmers working on their irrigation fields near Maiduguri in two separate yet similar incidents.
More than 30,000 people have been slaughtered and almost 3 million displaced in a decade of Boko Haram's violence in Nigeria, says the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
Boko Haram’s harsh violence has spilled over into the neighboring countries of Chad, Niger, and Cameroon, which have come together to create a joint military force to fight the terrorists.