Freed boys in Nigeria reunite with parents after six-day kidnap ordeal
Hundreds of schoolboys are reunited with their parents in Nigeria after they were seized in a mass abduction claimed by the Boko Haram terrorist group.
The students were also received in the governor's office by President Muhammadu Buhari, who spoke in Hausa, a language widely used in northern Nigeria.
Security forces on Thursday rescued nearly 350 schoolboys who had been kidnapped in northwestern Nigeria and taken into a vast forest, the governor of Katsina state said, bringing relief to many families.
It was not immediately clear whether all the missing boys had been recovered.
"I think we have recovered most of the boys," Governor Aminu Bello Masari said in a televised interview with state channel NTA.
Hours earlier a video started circulating online purportedly showing militants from the terrorists group Boko Haram with some of the boys.
The incident evoked memories of Boko Haram's 2014 kidnapping of more than 270 schoolgirls in the northeastern town of Chibok.
Last Friday night, gunmen raided the Government Science Secondary School in Katsina on motorbikes and marched the boys into Rugu forest, in the biggest such incident in the lawless region in recent years.