Libya military prosecutor opposes presidential bid of Gaddafi's son

2021-11-16 10:47:10
Libya military prosecutor opposes presidential bid of Gaddafi's son

Libya’s military prosecutor has asked the country’s electoral commission to halt the approval process for the presidential candidacy of Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of the country’s former ruler Muammar Gaddafi.

The prosecutor, Mohamed Gharouda, also asked that the paperwork for general Khalifa Haftar, who is also seeking the presidency, be suspended.

The electoral commission on Sunday said that Gaddafi had submitted the necessary documents as a presidential candidate in the elections set for next month.

But in a letter to the electoral commission, Gharouda warned that the commission would be held responsible for consequences if the processing of the paperwork was not halted.

"Seif al-Islam and Khalifa Haftar have been accused of criminal acts" and their presidential bids "must be halted until the investigation is completed", the military attorney-general’s office says in a letter.

Haftar, who leads forces in eastern Libya, is wanted for allegedly torturing Libyans during the recent civil war.

Abdel-Rahman el-Swahili, a lawmaker from Misrata, has also voiced his rejection to Seif al-Islam's candidacy, saying that Gadhafi’s son should be prosecuted, not running for president.

The registration of Gaddafi's candidacy, although expected, has shocked people in Libya and abroad for his role in the brutal crackdown of the uprising against his father’s rule.

He is still wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of war crimes committed in 2011.

Seif al-Islam was captured by fighters in the town of Zintan late in 2011, the year when a popular uprising, backed by the NATO, toppled his father after more than 40 years in power.

Moammar Gadhafi was later killed amid the ensuing fighting that would turn into a civil war.

Seif al-Islam, 49, earned a PhD at the London School of Economics, wore a traditional Libyan robe, turban and spectacles. It was the first time in years that he appeared in public.

He was released in June 2017 after more than five years of detention.


Error! Error occured!