Death toll from Saudi airstrike on Yemen prison rises to 91

2022-01-25 19:29:30
Death toll from Saudi airstrike on Yemen prison rises to 91

The Yemeni health minister says the death toll from a Saudi airstrike on a prison in the northern city of Sa’ada has now risen to 91.

Speaking to the al-Masirah television on Tuesday, Taha al-Mutawakel said that 91 people had been confirmed dead and 236 hospitalized by the end of rescue operations.

Yemeni officials have called for an international investigation into the airstrike, which took place on Friday. The overnight attack created horrific scenes, with bombed-out buildings littered with bodies and hospitals overwhelmed.

The air raid drew widespread condemnation, including from the UN, which also called for a transparent investigation.

According to Yemeni officials, since the beginning of January, attacks by the Saudi-led coalition waging war on Yemen have claimed the lives of at least 150 people.

The Saudi war has also taken a heavy toll on Yemen's infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories since March 2015, when Riyadh and a number of its regional allies launched the war to eliminate Yemen's Ansarullah movement and reinstall a former regime.

The campaign, accompanied by a tight siege, has failed to reach its goals, but it has killed hundreds of thousands of Yemeni people. The UN refers to the situation in Yemen as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

Yemen is under a tight blockade that has put millions of people just steps away from severe famine.

Nearly 400, 000 people have died either directly from war, or indirectly from disease and hunger caused by the conflict, over the past seven years.

002

Comments(0)
Success!
Error! Error occured!