Libya’s Presidential Council launches reconciliation bid

2022-06-23 18:31:02
Libya’s Presidential Council launches reconciliation bid

Libya's Presidential Council on Thursday launched a strategy for national reconciliation in a bid to rescue the north African country from a protracted political crisis amid external meddling.

"Libya needs national efforts to draw it away from foreign interference” Mohamed al-Menfi, head of the council, said in a speech during a ceremony held in the capital Tripoli. “It is time for Libyans to reconcile,” he added.

A number of foreign ambassadors were present at the ceremony, which was also attended by al-Menfi’s two deputies.

"Many countries have suffered from division and rift, but they triumphed by will and determination,” al-Menfi added.

The Presidential Council is a body formed under the terms of the Libyan Political Agreement which was signed on 17 December 2015. The Council carries out the functions of head of state of Libya and is led by a chairman supported by vice-chairmen representative of the historical regions of Libya. Other members of the council are Abdullah al-Lafi representing the Tripolitania region and Musa Al-Koni who represents Fezzan while the chairman, al Menfi represents Cyrenaica. Libya has been plagued by turmoil and divisions since the 2011 ouster of strongman Muammar Gaddafi.

A last round of UN-sponsored talks was held in Egypt last week, in an effort to reach a consensus on the constitutional framework to hold Libya’s long-awaited elections.

Libyans are still waiting for the stalled polls to take place in the hope that the vote will contribute to ending years of armed conflict that have plagued the oil-rich country.

Meanwhile, the United Nations has expressed disappointed after Libya’s House of Representative and High Council of State failed to reach an agreement on constitutional basis for holding national elections in the country.

“I think we can only be disappointed by the fact that the various Libyan factions failed to come to an agreement for the sake of people of their own country, for the sake of the millions who registered to vote, who wanted to be able to express their political opinions freely,” U.N. spokesman, Stéphane Dujarric, told reporters on Tuesday.

The talks, which stared on June 12, had sought to establish a constitutional framework for elections in Libya, but the two sides failed to agree on the measures governing the transitional period leading to the vote.

Comments(0)
Success!
Error! Error occured!