Palestinian death toll rises to 2,808 as Israel ramps up attacks on Gaza
The death toll from more than nine days of Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip in Palestine has reached over 2,800 as the Tel Aviv regime keeps bombing the defenseless civilian population in the besieged territory.
Health authorities in Gaza said on Monday that at least 2,808 Palestinians had been killed and some 10,859 others had been wounded since the Israeli regime launched its campaign of airstrikes and shelling against people in Gaza on October 7.
Figures provided by the media government office in Gaza said that women and children had accounted for nearly 64% of the fatalities from Israeli attacks on Gaza.
The figures showed that some 254 Palestinians had been killed in Gaza in the past 24 hours.
Israeli assaults on Gaza, a besieged territory on the Mediterranean which is home to 2.3 million people, began after the Gaza-based resistance movement Hamas launched multi-pronged attacks on settlers and military forces in the Israeli-occupied territories of Palestine.
The Hamas operation against the Israelis, dubbed the Al- Asqa Storm, came amid growing violence against the Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and after Israeli extremists desecrated al-Asqa Mosque in the occupied city of al-Quds on multiple occasions.
Estimates show that more than 1,400 Israelis, many of them military forces, were killed in the unprecedented operation launched by Hamas against Israel.
Meanwhile, reports on Monday suggested that there was no change in Israeli regime’s plans to launch a major ground offensive into Gaza despite warnings by governments and experts that the move could cause the conflict to spiral out of control and would result in more deaths among the Palestinians.
The plans come as Israel has maintained a crippling blockade against Gaza by cutting food, water and electricity supplies to people living there.