Iran foreign minister warns Israel, US over continuing war against Gaza
Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian has warned Israel and US the continuation of the war against the besieged Gaza Strip could result in “another surprise” by the resistance forces.
“In my yesterday meeting, political officials of Hamas noted that in case the war is not stopped, the region would be closer to the level of taking a bigger decision,” he told a joint press conference with his Turkish counterpart Hakan Fidan.
Amir-Abdollahian met Fidan a day after Iran's top diplomat sat down for talks with Hamas leaders in Qatar.
“If the war is not stopped, [the responsibility] for the expansion of the war directly lies with the Zionist regime and the US. Washington should accept the responsibility for its all-out support for the killing of people and deal with its consequences”, Amir-Abdollahian said.
“If the war continues, the conditions won’t remain the same and the resistance will make another surprise move,” he said.
Hamas waged the surprise Operation Al-Aqsa Storm against Israel on October 7 in response to its decades-long campaign of bloodshed and aggression against Palestinians.
The operation prompted Israel to launch a bloody war against the blockaded Gaza Strip, which has killed at least 8,796 Palestinians, mostly women and children, and injured more than 23,000 others.
Israeli attacks on Gaza are now in their fourth week. They’ve so far killed at least 8,796 people, two-thirds of them women and children, according to Gaza’s health ministry.
Israel has been pounding the Gaza Strip since October 7 following an operation by Hamas targeting Israeli forces around the Gaza Strip that left hundreds dead.
Hamas members and other Palestinians who entered the Israeli-occupied territories are estimated to have captured at least two hundred Israelis.