Kerman terrorist attack: Iran officials revise death toll down to 84

2024-01-04 14:51:48
Kerman terrorist attack: Iran officials revise death toll down to 84

Iran has revised down the death toll from the Kerman terrorist attack to 84, saying the initial tally was incorrect as some of the bodies were counted more than once given that they were blown to pieces in the blasts.

“The previous figure of 95 was incorrect given that some of the bodies were blown to pieces,” Mohammad Saberi, head of Kerman Emergency Organization, said Thursday.

He said forensic officials have now put the revised death toll at 84.

Saberi added that so far, 89 injured people have been discharged from hospitals, 149 people are currently hospitalized in normal units, and 46 people are in special care units.

Iranian Interior Minister Ahmad Vahidi also confirmed the revised figure, saying some of the wounded individuals are in critical condition.

“Most of the injured are in good condition and need minor surgeries. Some of them will be discharged today,” Vahidi told reporters on Thursday, after visiting the wounded at hospitals.

He also stressed that the security situation in Kerman is under control.

“Undoubtedly, those behind the terrorist attack will be hunted down by Iran’s intelligence and security apparatuses and will be delivered a hard slap,” he asserted.

Two explosions occurred in the southeastern city of Kerman on Wednesday near the tomb of former Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani.

According to IRNA, the first blast occurred some 700 meters from General Soleimani’s burial place, and the second one about one kilometer away 20 minutes later during a crowded fourth- martyrdom anniversary.

No group or country has claimed responsibility for the recent explosion which is the deadliest attack in the history of the Islamic Republic.

002

Comments(0)
Success!
Error! Error occured!